Thursday, August 24, 2006

Enough!

There was a column in the New York Times last week about the promotion of gang/crime culture in the black community, the pertetuation of violence against black people by black people and the dissentigration of the black community. In "A Triumph of Felons and Failures," Op-ed columnist Bob Herbert talks about the magazines and other elements of popular culture that are contributing to the degradation of our black communal spirit and how those who rise up against these forces in their communities are often rewarded with death (i.e. Angela and Carnell dawson of Baltimore in 2002.) The column also mentions a new book by Juan Williams, titled Enough, who talks about the vacuum of leadership and the feverish array of problems that are undermining black Americans. I recommend you take a look at this article at www.newyorktimes.com (I would have pasted it in here myself but too many lawyers read this blog and I am scared of copyright repercusions!) and to pick up this new book by Juan Williams.

This column reminds me of some conversations that I have been having with friends of mine lately..... I am starting to feel older..... Especially when I listen to the radio! I mean, there are songs on the radio today that I just can't believe have gotten past the censors! Now, don't get me wrong.... I have been known to groove to these songs in the club but I also have a enough of a foundation and strong enough self concept to know that 1) they are not talking about me and 2) they are not prescriptions for how I should structure my personal relationships nor pattern my everyday life. I used to always say to myself that I would be a cool mom... like one who was in touch with popular culture but I have to tell you... I am beginning to think that I will not allow my kids to listen to the radio at all! It saddens me but, especially for girls, there are so few positive images out there for black kids these days. I think about how hard I will have the work to counter these images and make sure that my children (when I have them) grow up with positive self images and the ability to filter out the negative. Just thinking....... Please share your thoughts...

2 comments:

KLynn said...

I can remember exactly when I started getting turned off by commercial radio. I was in my mid-to-late 20s. What wasn't insulting was derivative and mindless...and this was in the early 90s. So, needless to say, I, a black woman, am now pretty removed from what passes for popular music these days (hip hop and everything else).

I don't have kids but if I did they definitely wouldn't be listening to this stuff. I have friends whose kids know more about Bob Dylan and Earth Wind and Fire than I do. They consciously fill their kids' ears with enough GOOD music so that the BAD music doesn't make as much of an impact. I really do believe that conscious parenting can help deflect at least some of the bad influences (music and otherwise) that kids are exposed to.

These same friends that I mention above realized early on that short of locking your kids up you CAN'T prevent all the bad stuff from getting to them, but you CAN give them the tools of discernment and common sense so that they'll at least have a chance of developing healthier senses of themselves and their world.

Re the Herbert column and Williams' book: I don't want to write a novel on your blog but basically, I agree with the gist of what they're saying. I also think that we cannot afford to wait for the second reincarnation of MLK or Moses or what have you. The notion of "saving the black community" is too huge for almost anybody to grasp...we need to accept the American part of our African-Americaness and 1) start change from within ourselves, 2) work to effect change within our circles of influences, and 3) join with like-minded individuals to spread change.

NappyTexanGirl said...

Hi Reddread,

Just the other day, I was looking at BET and I could not find one Television show from that network that promoted Self awareness in Blacks, Self Independence, or Self Worth. Again, this is Black Entertainment Television. I’m sure this network has a target audience, but what would it hurt to have at least one show that uplifted the people (Blacks) who made it such a success. The one program they had (Chronicles of Jeff Johnson) that at least informed us of the rising epidemic of HIV/AIDS in the Black community was cancelled. (Jeff Johnson another Brother with nice Locks) What message is Sexiest Video Vixen sending out to our young Black women??? I don’t know....