Thursday, May 18, 2006

My brush with fame......

My roommate saw Boris Kodjo and Nicole Ari Parker with their baby in Whole Foods this weekend. Apparently, people are always running into famous people around here. I have lived here for almost 4 years and the only famous person I have met has been Dominique Wilkins.....

So I was talking to my friend from DFW tonight about this and I was reminded of my only true brush with fame. I was actually in South Africa, taking a tour of Soweto, the famous township in Johannesburg that was the seat of the Uprising against apartheid.


















We had gone to all the spots and, as is tradition with these tours, ended up at Wandi's, a famous restaurant where tour goers eat lunch at the end of their tours and leave business cards up on the walls to mark their visit.




A classmate and I were just leaving the restaurant (everyone else was already outside) and we were looking at the wall for the business cards of our friends who had been there the year before.




I was standing in front of her and was just about to step thru the bright sunny doorway when, framed in the light, appeared the silhouette of a tall slim man with a child riding on his back. I gasped and my friend behind me nudged me, wondering why I stopped.


There, coming in the door, was Will Smith with his son riding piggyback on his back. We said hi and he smiled, said hi, and walked past us into the restuarant and was starting to sit down at a table, his "entourage" behind him. We had heard that he was in South Africa promoting "Ali" but had no reason we would run into him in a South African township!

We decided that we could not let this opportunity pass us by so we went back into the restaurant to talk to him. Will, besides looking even better than he does in the movies, with nice curly hair and little freckles sprinkled across his nose, was very nice. He took the time to take pictures with both of us and invited us to stay for lunch. Unfortunately, we had just finished eating and the rest of our tour group was ready to go so we couldn't stay :-( But I will always have my picture!

2 comments:

Leighann said...

That's quite a brush! What a cutie!

Unknown said...

wow! Lucky u!