Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I am not a hypochondriac....

Some odd stuff has been happening to me health-wise lately....

First, around the end of June/beginning of July, I started experiencing some extreme bloating --- I mean, EXTREME. It didn't really respond to regular antacids or OTC medicine like Prilosec. Let me elaborate a little more on what this was like. I was so uncomfortable that I had trouble sitting up straight. My posture was suffering, I had to adjust the seat in my car because I was started to have lower back pain. Sometimes I would feel slightly better but didn't want to eat much because when I did, I felt even more full and bloated. I was starting to think that something was seriously wrong with me. Now, I am not one to have a fragile digestive system. I have traveled around the world and eaten many things in many places with little consequence but there is nothing more humbling than having prolonged gastro-intestinal distress. It just saps the energy out of you.

Finally, I decided to go to my doctor. I have had a bit of trouble finding a good internal medicine doctor here. A couple years ago I went to a female doctor that was highly recommended and conveniently located and on my first visit she told me that this was my annual exam just to get a baseline and if I had any other particular issues that I wanted to discuss I would have to come back for another appt! Needless to say, that rubbed me the wrong way and I never went back. So last year, I asked my GYN to recommend someone and she recommended another female doctor who was part of a popular practice. I had gone to her once last year for an annual exam so I made an appt to go see her to figure out what was wrong with me this time. The visit was not fulfilling or comforting at all. I told her everything that was going on -- I was practically in tears --- and she basically asked me some questions, pressed on my stomach and asked if I had any sharp pain. Then she prescribed a medication for acid reflux, told me to take something for gas if I needed it and said to let her know in TWO WEEKS if I wasn't feeling better. Well, I left there feeling pretty upset. But, I figured that if she didn't think that this was anything life-threatening that I would go ahead and try some other things to try to improve my situation in addition to what she prescribed me. I did, with a combination of the medicine she prescribed, from Gas-X, and some probiotics that I started taking too, start feeling better later that day. But I am not really any closer to understanding why it happened in the first place. In my doctor's defense, she did give me about 2 weeks of free samples of the medicine she prescribed, which ended up to be about $50 worth, given my insurance coverage...

Then.....

A few days ago, I woke up in the morning with a crick in my neck, like I slept wrong. A day or so later it was still sore. Then, the next day the muscle soreness turned to more of a sharp stiff pain. And then, the next morning, my throat started feeling weird. By about mid day, I started to feel like there was a lump in the back of my throat, literally. I was feeling very uncomfortable and worn out. I considered going to the doctor again, although not very excited about it. That night I came home and washed my hair and took some Advil (previously, I had been taking Aleve) and I almost immediately I started feeling better. It was all really strange but after about 12 hours of taking Advil, I was almost completely back to normal. Again, really odd.

So, I still don't know why either of these things happened. I am normally pretty boring and regular from a health perspective and pay a lot of attention to my body. Anytime anything is out of wack, I notice it. I am not completely sure what it was trying to tell me with these two things but I decided that maybe I need to rid myself of some toxins or something. So I started an herbal cleanse -- it can't hurt and I have already felt a difference in my sleep.

3 comments:

gema said...

Ah, I was glad to read at the end that you decided to do a herbal cleanse. I'd also recommend the Master Cleanse, you can google it on the internet, tons to read and purchase the book if you feel the need, but it is all there on the WWW to read.
First let me say I am Mrs. Skeptical to the 10. Power. I am a total HARD SELL...I am not as gullible as most. I maintain a pure vegetarian diet and mostly organic.
Last year I was plagued by flatuence...it was so bad, I didn't leave the house if it wasn't absolutely necessary! I read someone's blog where she was doing the Master Cleanse at the time and decided that since I didn't have to purchase anything odd or expensive or unatural, I'd give it a try. I could always stop.
The first days were hard for me as I was always hungry but I could always drink the lemon/maple syrup drink as much as I wanted. After day 20 I felt so good, I didn't want to stop. I went for 38days. BUT the real good feelings come AFTER the cleanse. You feel completely PURE inside and out. It was great. I have since completed another cleanse and hope to do another later this year. Love the after feeling.
I'd recommend giving it a try. I use only organic products (lemon and maple syrup)and found some pure Dead Sea Salt in my Supermarket for table use so I used that instead of regular Sea Salt. I also alternated with Epsom Salts some days. Some lemon juice in the salt water mixture makes drinking more pleasant.
I didn't purge twice a day. I purged every other day. Twice a day was too much for me to handle...lol...
Since you work a full day, I'd suggest purging at night so that you won't have to deal with it before leaving for work.
The Master Cleanse is supposed to bring your body back to an alkaline state. The idea being that many foods cause our bodies to become acidic and this is the cause of many health problems. I cannot prove any of those theories so I take it with a grain of salt.
I have been a heavy coffee drinker all my life and drinking it pure (coffee on the rocks)! No milk no sugar. Now I don't drink coffee anymore. I also try to avoid foods that are listed as 'acid' forming. The upside to all this is weight loss too.
Having said all this!!!
I hope you will find the way to helping yourself back to good health. Perhaps consulting with a good qualified Natural Medicine Physician could also be an idea.
Your doctors seem to want to cure the symptoms and not the cause. We have to take our health in our hands. They want to make big money to support big lifestyles.

Ginger Roots said...

Hi RDP, I feel like I am a distant cousin/home-girl of both you and Brunsli. I check up on the both of you at least once a month, especially when I need a little perspective in life. So sorry to hear about your systemic/health issue. I was going to say that you may have grown an intolerance to something that you have always eaten. I am a natural foodist, and write about and cook with natural foods and work alot with people who for many different reasons (environmental, health, age, etc.)have developed allergies to things like, wheat, gluten, dairy, yeast, sugar, mercury, nuts...and you'd be surprised the kinds of reactions people have, many of them are like you've described. You may want to see a nautropath, or a doctor that focuses on food allergies and can test you for some of those. Taking advil, gas-x and stuff like that may provide relief, but may not solve the problem. I hope it never comes back, and that you learn what it is and how to get rid of it for good!

Kumina said...

I have acid reflux, but I also have the same symptoms you had been going through. I just bloat up all of a sudden, it's happened twice this year already. I'm going to try the herbal cleanse too. I'm getting desperate, and scared.