Thursday, July 31, 2008

Doing without one of the world's greatest inventions!

I have long said that air conditioning ranks up there as one of the top inventions of mankind, behind fire and the wheel. Well, last week, mine went out! I luckily have 2 units in my house, one for the front of the house and one for the back of the house, so I am not completely without AC but the back of the house is where I spend most of my time.

I have a home warranty and it does not seem to have done me any good... They sent a guy out who was literally in my house for about 10 minutes. He came in, told me that it looked like my motor was dying because the drain pipe was backing up. He looked around unsuccesfully for the model number for the fan and then told me that we would have to have the office figure out what size motor it was and call me back.

Well, after not hearing from anyone for 2 days, I called back the repair company and they told me that the warranty company was supposed to call me because they were denying to cover the repair since it happened due to neglect. Then when I didn't hear back from the warranty company I called them on Monday. I was told by a rep that 1) they were still evaulating whether or not to replace the motor or the whole unit and that 2) I was in the queue to call back that day. So, on Wednesday, when I called back again the woman on the phone told me that when I called on Monday that they told me that the repair would not be covered. Okay..... does that sound like what I just told you the guy said?? Then she put me on hold and said that she went to ask the guy about his note. She said that he swore that what he had written was what he had told me and practically accused me of lying! I told her, why would I bother to call back if that is what someone told me!? Why would I waste my time if that was my understanding??

That really rubbed me the wrong way and this experience, combined with past one has led me to really reconsider having this home warranty in the first place. Basically, it seems that unless you have all new everything, they will try to find a way to get out of covering what ever you call them for.

I guess I will call back the company that came out to see how much they would charge me to replace the fan motor......and try my best to stay cool!

No comments: