Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My new job..... I think this might be a good thing!

So, I started my new job yesterday.......

I knew that I was going to have a full day of orientation, which is already ahead of what my previous employer would do (which is nothing!). Well, before the day was over, we had our ID and security badges, parking passes and computers. We had learned about the background of the company, about office security, payroll, etc...., gone on a tour of the executive floor, gone on a little scavenger hunt, talked to a panel of employees and had cake with our new bosses. I was shown where my desk was and there were already office supplies there! Pretty obvious that I am not in "Kansas" anymore!

I knew that the atmosphere at this company would be different --- it is much smaller, scrappier, and younger..... the average age of employees is 32. It values individuality, initiative and accountability..... When I was there to interview I felt really overdressed in my suit. Folks were walking around in jeans.... and shorts!

Second day on the job and I met with my boss for the first 2 hrs and he gave me an overview of the products we are working on. I didn't have a docking station so I asked him where I could get one. He introduced me to our group's assistant, who was going to order one for me but when i got back to my desk, there was one already sitting there..... Magic! I sat in on a bunch of calls/mtgs in the afternoon. At the end of the day, my boss stopped by and brought me some candy and asked if I had any questions. Very nice..... Maybe it is first week euphoria but it is working for me right now.

Everyone is very nice and friendly and there seem to be tons of black folks working there. In my group, there are 3 of us and 2 of us are black women. The woman sitting behind me is from HR and she had locks..... Needless to say, I have no worries about my hair in this work environment. The CEO wears Hawaiian shirts to work all the time. I am thinking, hoping, that I will like it here!

4 comments:

brunsli said...

Yeah!

I'm so happy for you. You deserve a change from that BS.

naadii salaam said...

congratulations! sounds like job-paradise.

naadii salaam said...

congratulations! sounds like job-paradise.

Leighann said...

This is wonderful! A good, positive work environment makes all the difference. Congrats