Monday, February 25, 2008

What a scam!

I just bought some tickets for a concert that I really want to see from Ticketmaster. Now, I don't go to concerts very often, maybe once at year at the most. I only go see the people that I really, really want to see. The people who, to me, are worth the money to pay for a great seat. So I had already resigned myself to the idea of spending some money on these tickets.

What I was not prepared for was the exorbitant "convenience fee" that Ticketmaster tacked on to the ticket price. I mean $35 a ticket!!! Who is that convenient for?!?!? And what is this fee for anyway? It is not like there is any overhead cost associated with selling tickets. The paper and ink don't cost a whole lot. I have the same feeling that I get when I see how much popcorn and soda cost at the movies. They know that they've got you, you have no choice, so they take fun advantage of their monopolistic position! And....... they don't tell you about the fee when they advertise the ticket price. They wait until you are emotionally invested, you have found the seats that you want and then they spring it on you! And to top it all off, they put pressure on you by giving you a limited amount of time to enter your payment information or the tickets go back up for grabs, where they could be scooped up by another purchaser who is just sitting in wait for your tickets! (or at least that is how they make you feel!)

So, of course I bought the tickets, and I am sure that I will love the show --- I will be 10 rows from the stage! --- but these fees have really left a bad taste in my mouth. I just wish there was another choice because I would surely take it!

No comments: