Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My opinion on this season.....

So, I have kicked a lot of my reality show vices in the past year or so..... Reality shows are just sorta boring. I am over the hype. But one show that I do still watch, at least at the beginning of the season is American Idol.

So the auditions I just watch because I am always amazed at the nerve of people to get up in front of judges and sing so badly! Like, don't they have any friends?!?!? How could their families lie to them like that? Why hasn't someone else noticed how crazy some of these people are and get them some help!

And then there is the pleasure of hearing the folks who can actually sing! Talk about refreshing.... Honestly, I always wished I could sing..... I mean, on a good day i can hold a tune in the shower or in the car while the song is playing or sometimes hold a tune on my own. But music gives me pleasure and hearing folks who can really sing and are giving their all to a performance gives me joy.

So I continue watching American Idol past the auditions, normally until the voting gets too commercial and they start voting off the folks with real talent for the folks who are prettier or more marketable....

I have to say there is one rule about the show that is really bugging me right now, especially after just watching the performances of the remaining 24...... and that is the rule that there have to be 6 boys and 6 girls in the top 12...... The guys performed last night and, while there are some I like, like that cutie background singer, Brandon, or that fine Brian McNight sounding Jared or the slightly corny new father with the surprising powerful voice, Phil or the multitalented, beat-boxing Blake, none of them blew me away like the girls did tonight! First, the black girls are on point! Some slightly more than others but Stephanie, Sabrina, Melinda, Jordin and LaKisha brought it! They made me smile and LaKisha actually made me teary singing "And I Am Telling You" in true Jennifer fashion (pick your Jennifer.)
Now, I am realistic enough to know that not all of them are going to make it into the top 6..... there are 7 white girls in the top 12 too and the Middle class, Midwest, teenage crowd will vote because someone is prettier and not value the talent that they possess. But it will be a shame....

No comments: