Wednesday, June 20, 2007

:-(

My computer is a brick!

This morning when i was taking it upstairs to print from my printer it just shut off! :-O Initially, I thought it was the battery so I went and got a power supply but when i plugged it in.......still no lights! Wahhhhhhh! :-( I have had this laptop for 2 1/2 years. Of course now, when I look it up on Google I see that a lot of Dell Laptops of my model have conked out because of motherboards that give out. Of course, this doesnt really help me now!

Luckily, all my photos and music are saved on my external harddrive. I learned to do this after my last laptop, again a Dell, died when the hard drive (and possible the processor too) went bad. Hmmm, notice a trend here.....

This is actually my 3rd laptop since 2000. The first, a Sony, was stolen in India. Then the first Dell died after 3 years and now this one.

So the bad news is I have to shop for a new laptop and the good news is that I get to shop for a new laptop! I am a bit of a techno-geek so any excuse to upgrade I will take. It is just frustrating tho. It looks like I will be able to use my old hard drive as an external one so that might not be too bad. I will have to reload a bunch of programs. But I will get more RAM and a DVD burner!

So I guess it is not all bad!.....

5 comments:

blackrussian said...

Ooh! That's scary. I have a Dell of approximately the same age. What model is yours? It's been ages since I've backed up. Now I'm paranoid and feel like I need to do it, like, tomorrow!

RedDredPrincess said...

I have an Inspiron 1150....

RedDredPrincess said...

People, back up your hard drives!

DellCAJohn said...

Hi-

My name is John, and I am a customer advocate at Dell headquarters.

After reading your post, and considering your particular situation, there may be something I can do for you. Even though you're looking on the bright side of this already, I think I may be able to make it brighter still. If you'd like, contact me:

customer_advocate@dell.com
ATTN: John

blackrussian said...

After reading this post I decided to shop around for a new laptop. I was casually comparison shopping, but now I feel like I need to make a decision immediately.

I feel like I should be proactive and make the change before my Inspiron 6000 gives up the ghost. As much as I love it, I am now really scared that it will just quit on me.

I went to the HP direct site and I really like the dv6000t series. It is completely customizable and seems to offer a few options I don't think I can get on an Inspiron, like the ability to download TV shows on to my laptop and take it with me (with a remote control, mind you). AND it seems like it might have a longer battery life; that's what I've observed with my HP-owning friends.

My Dell has always had battery issues. I can only use it for about 20 - 25 minutes (this since it was new, too!) So, I always have to be near an outlet - that's a bummer for a mobile user.

Anyway...thanks for posting this. It's given me a new sense of urgency about making a decision. Check out my post: What the Dell? when you have the time.