Friday, November 09, 2007

Le sigh.....

So back when I was 12 and trying to decide which language to study, I picked French because I liked the way it sounded. And I studied it for 9 more years!

But now, I admit, that I really wish I had picked Spanish. French seemed more glamourous at the time but Spanish would be so much more useful in this day and age. And, would make me more employable. Also, I would have so much more opportunity to speak it.

I started studying Spanish in grad school and the fact that I knew French has helped a lot with vocabulary and sentence structure since the languages are so similar. But I still have a long, long way to go.

And now I want to learn Portuguese too! Well, I seem to have time for lessons at the moment so I might as well take this time to do some studying!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

RDP, check out your local library system. My county library gives us FREE internet access (from home, or work, or wherever) to the Rosetta Stone software. They have every language imaginable, even Welsh and farsi. I'm learning Russian (of course) and brushing up on my french.. :)

blackrussian said...

Try the Pimsleur CDs. The system is designed to teach foreign languages in the same way that we learn our native language.

It requires only 30 minutes a day and is really easy. There are no books or writing. It's all hearing and speaking - anticipation and graduated recall.

You learn usueful conversational skills, not just random phrases like: donde es el banyo (where is the bathroom)?

You can ask people where they're from and book a hotel room and buy things/ask prices... be social.

Check it out at the library or buy it at Barnes and Noble for under $30.

The full set of 30 lessons will set you back about $150 if you purchase it online, but BN sells the first 18 lessons in the trial set for $30.

I bought that first, and then went on to buy the full set because I liked it so much.

There are even some companies like cheappimsleur.com that will buy it back from you for $100 when you're done, so you've only spent $50 in the end.

Let me know how it goes!

Naturally Sophia said...

Well, it's never too late. Iknow you have someone to practice Portuguese with but if you ever want to practice Spanish i would love to speak it with someone who was not asking me about their account. lol!

P.S. seriously,sorry about the text messages :(