Monday, December 03, 2007

Let's all go to the movies!

So I originally wanted to write a post when I saw American Gangster but honestly, I couldn't decide what I wanted to say about the movie. First, it had Denzel in it and, HELLO!, how can you not love Denzel! It also included a cast of a number of other distinguished, and some new, black actors like Ruby Dee, Joe Morton, Clarence Williams III, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Common, Cuba Gooding Jr and TI. But I think what gave me pause about this movie was how it blurred the lines of good and bad, how it made you like and respect the bad guy and not particularly like the good guy.

Bad Guy: Frank Lucas - Drug Dealer
Smart determined business man who saw and opportunity to provide a product that was higher quality to an eager customer base and build brand loyalty that would knock out the competition. A black man who was determined to make a way for himself on his own and not be forced to work through or for others simply because they were white. A serious business man who was not flashy and brash, but a loyal man who valued his family and was trying to create a legacy. Only problem is..... he's a drug dealer and he is profiting off the backs, addictions and hardships of others.

Good Guy: Ritchie Roberts - Head of Anti-Drug Task force
An agent with high moral standards in the workplace who cheats on his wife, sleeps with his lawyer, is not there for his son.

This movie made me root for Frank Lucas, even though I knew it would end. And I also respected how this movie was made. I had a friend who watched this movie and just thought that it was alright. I think he was expecting more of a "black Scarface" type of movie. But that is not what this movie is about. It is a biopic about a man who we can admire for how he accomplished things even if we can't admire what he actually accomplished.

Most recently, at the urging of my friend P, who sent out an email to her friend's and family, I went to go see Last Christmas. Now this really is a movie, and there are a few scenes where they really do ask us to suspend disbelief (like when Regina King's character and her husband, park their car curbside at LAX and walk away as she is saying goodbye to him and they are not accosted or arrested by police who tell them that they can't leave their car there) but it really is a great movie, a family movie, a feel good movie. Sure there is some turmoil, fighting and secrets, as there are in any family but what comes across most strongly is that what this black family has the most of is love. Sure this movie can most easily draw comparisons to SoulFood but is it different from its predecessor in many ways. And it just makes you feel good at the end. Another all star cast in this movie: Loretta Devine, Delroy Lindo, Idris Elba, Regina King, Sharon Leal, Columbus Short, Lauren London, Mehki Phifer (who also co-produced it) and Chris Brown (such a cutie! I think I have a new crush...) This is a must see for the holiday season.

And another movie that comes out on Christmas day that is worth note is produced by Oprah and is directed and starred in by Denzel Washington yet again. It is called "The Great Debaters" and tells the all too important, and not often enough talked about story of Melvin Tolson and the debate team that he started at Wiley College, the first HBCU to be established west of the Mississippi River. I saw the show about the movie on Oprah. This debate team was able to rise above the inequality and discrimination of its time and only lost 1 out of the 75 debates in which they competed in a 15 year period, including debates won against Harvard and USC in 1935. The winning team that historic year also included one woman alternate, who is played by Jurnee Smollet of Eve's Bayou fame. Other cast members include Denzel, Forrest Whitaker, and Kimberly Elise. Coincidentally, after Mr. Tolsen left Wiley, he went to teach English at Langston University. My mother sent me an email this week telling me about how he taught her English the whole time she was in school there. So, I guess I know what we will be doing on Christmas Day..... ;-)

But seriously, my point is, there seem to be a number of really substantive black movies out there this season, movies with great actors and great stories. The kind of movies that studios need to know that we want to see more of going forward. So.... let's all go to the movies this holiday season and make sure they know what we like and want!

3 comments:

muslimahlocs said...

finally, someone who agrees with me about denzel!

Naturally Sophia said...

Hey RDP! Thanks for the movie reviews. Ihad definitely not considered viewing "This Christmas' before I read this. Have you seen "I Am" with Will Smith? If/when you do please blog on it. I am interested to see what you have to write.

Ms Stella said...

Thanks for the reviews. I haven't seen either of theses movies.

Last Christmas Day, I saw Dream Girls so maybe this year, I'll go see one of your suggestions.