Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Christmas tree solution

So, this year, for the first time in a long time, I am going to be celebrating Christmas in my house. We normally all travel up to my aunt's place and stay there but this year she and her husband are going to see his son so my parents are going to come to my place to celebrate which means I don't have to put out any money for travel which is great. But it did leave me with a little dilemma.

I don't really have many Christmas decorations because, well, I am normally not home and I also don't have a Christmas tree. Artificial trees are expensive and more than I want to spend for one year and, to be honest, in my entire life, I have never had a real tree! (I know, I know...)

The first 5-6 years of my life, we had a little 2 1/2 foot silver tinsel tree that we used to set on top of a decorative trunk and arrange presents around. And you know what, it might as well been 10 feet tall as far as I was concerned. When I was about 6 or 7, my mom bought a full sized, life-like artificial tree from Kmart, which I think is the same tree they have in basement now. And it was great. It even had a little fake snow on the branches. And when we were done, we packed it back away and didnt have to worry about needles falling off or when the tree disposal pickup would be.

Although I seemed to inherit a Christmas tree stand when i purchased this house, I really don't feel like dealing with a real tree, plus I am concerned that my dog will try to eat it, so I came up with an alternate solution...

I bought 2 rosemary bush trees and placed them on the mantle. Perfect! And after Christmas is over, I can use the rosemary for cooking! So I went out and bought little mini ornaments and well, I think they are almost as good as the real thing!


Like the stockings?

1 comment:

Naturally Sophia said...

Rosemary, what a clever solution. My family has never had a real tree either. Maybe i can drop by after Christmas for some of those rosemary dishes.