Monday, June 30, 2008

A pore rebellion :-(

So..... I feel like I am in high school.... Actually, this is different from high school because I was sort of blind-sided....

Here is the back story --- High blood pressure runs in my family on my father's side and typically, the hereditary effect on blood pressure manifests itself in the lower to mid 30's. So, it is manifesting itself in me in the past year or so.... One of the other things that is thought to have an additional effect on blood pressure in women is birth control pills (the majority of them) because the estrogen in them is thought to raise BP. Therefore, many woman who have high blood pressure, are encouraged to pursue birth control options that are progesterone-only based. There are a number of them, ranging from pills to injections to IUDs. At any rate, while I was deciding on what I wanted to do, I went off birth control for a little while.

So I vaguely remembered stated that one of the benefits of birth control pills was the clearing up of acne and better skin. But I never really put much creedance in it. Well, I do now....

About 2 weeks after I stopped taking the pills, I began to notice a few pimples -- but I sort of chalked it up to the warm summer weather. Now I know, it is NOT the weather.....

And last week, I started to develop one of the biggest nastiest pimple that I have ever had. I am talking a big nasty pustule! And it was not pretty. Let's just put it this way..... I wore a band-aid on my face yesterday because that looked better than the alternative. Attempts to drain it didn't work. I had to take a trip to the drug store and dig deep through the acne medicine to find stuff to use on it. I the end, I ended up purchasing 3 different kinds of medicine with 3 different active ingredients. This is serious business!

So I have begun a multi-staged regimen to get rid of this sucker. Trying to get rid of anything huge before the weekend starts and I start going to these cookouts. So far, I have seen some good results, thank god! The difference between how it looked yesterday morning and this morning is dramatic. Today it is flat and just slightly pink, although still fairly large in circumference but I decided to leave the band-aid off today to let it get some air. A friend at work told me I was better off with the band-aid on..... :-(

I hope it won't cause any permanent scars.....

No comments: