Sunday, June 29, 2008

Respondez s'il vous plait!

I have blogged before about my big pet peeve about people who do not RSVP to events etc. If someone extends you the courtesy of an invite, you should at least respond one way or another. Even if that invite comes in an electronic form. It is just good hometraining!

So, the other day I was told a story that just took the act of not RSVPing to an extreme. A friend's cousin started his freshman year at a well-known HBCU. Turns out, this HBCU had more students show up their freshman year than they were expecting or had room for because a number of them never responded to the admission letter per instructions. The school still admitted them and secured housing off campus for them!

First of all, what kind of example is this setting for them?? Oh, don't worry about following instructions, we will still let you have your way...... And if they can't bother to follow these simple instructions, what does this tell you about their ability to say.... get their assignments in on time, or follow other rules. Yes, they are young..... but they do have parents!!! And most likely parents who can read!

I know I am coming off as a real stick in the mud but I think we do a disservice to kids when we don't teach them that actions or inaction does have consequences.

And that's all I have to say about that!

No comments: