Saturday, April 21, 2007

Call me handy!

This morning, determined to get back into the home improvement state of mind, I got up and decided to install the new touch screen programmable (why does programmable have 2 "m"s???) thermostats that I had bought a month or so ago to replace the existing ones I have.

Now, the ones that came with the house are no slouches. They were state of the art back when they were installed 20+ years ago but they don't have the ability for 7 day programming which can be quite an energy saver, especially since I often forget to turn down then thermostat when I leave.

So, armed with screwdriver, hammer and drill, I decided to get to it! First step, head down to the circuit box and turn off the power...... Okay, these breakers aren't very well marked.... Sounds like a project for another day..... Then, the words of my friend's husband who is a contractor resonated in my head...... "I never turn off the electricity when I change thermostats..." While, I am in no way and advocate of this, it is contrary to all instructions that people give you, I decided to give it a try...... I figured I would be really careful and, well rubber doesn't conduct electricity, right? I will just wear these rubber gloves I have! (A little bit of knowledge really can be dangerous!)

So, I followed the rest of the directions to a "t". Labeled the wires, connected them in order, installed the base, tested everything and to my joy... it worked!!! :-) I felt so empowered that I did the other one as well.

So now, I have 2 cool, new, touch screen, 7 day programmable thermostats in my house! And I didn't electrocute myself! Just call me Handy RDP!

Now I just have to figure out how to program them!!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are my kind of girl!!! I LOVE doing handy stuff around the house (apartment), but i usually draw the line at electrical stuff. My dad was an electrician (among other things) and he instilled the fear of electricity in me!! I'm sure the programming will be a piece of cake, too!

RedDredPrincess said...

Yeah, I actually like to do this kind of stuff but electricity has been a scary frontier.... Planning on painting some more this weekend. If only I knew how to frame, drywall, knock down walls and install cabinets I could save a ton on some remodeling work I am planning on doing!