Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Joys of owning a puppy and the saga of the poopy foot!

So I was excited to get some relatively consistent warm weather this week and decided to plant the flowers in the flower pots by my front door that I had purchased right before a freeze came through a couple weeks ago. I had been, with limited success, keeping them alive in the garage until I could get a chance to plant them. Last night I did.... I was relatively pleased with myself! I got out my garden gloves (first times really used, except for the hellish weekend I spent cutting down kudzu last year ---Kudzu is the devil's spawn!!) and I used the Miracle Gro potting soil that I had picked up at Home Depot. As the sun started to set, I stood back, pleased with my efforts, with visions of huge over-flowing flowers tumbling from the boxes in the next month or two...

This morning I let the puppy out in the morning as usual. But, when I went to let her in later on, to my horror, her little mouth and nose were covered with....... Miracle Gro soil!!! :-O Yes, my cute little puppy had proceeded to tear apart about half of the plants I had planted the night before! :-(

I couldn't really discipline her for this, although I was rather upset, because dogs don't really get discipline unless you correct them when they are in the act. So, the most I could do while I was sweeping up dirt and looking for plant fragments with root stems to re-plant was scold her if she came near anything with I was doing my clean up....

Then, I took her to doggie day care (yes, I know.... more on my slightly neurotic dog mommy habits later) and as we were approaching the door, unbenounced to me, the puppy stepped in a pile of dog poop that another owner had so lovingly left as they were bringing their dog in for the day.

The puppy is very, very excited to go to day care and play with all of her friends. In fast, her starts getting excited before we even leave the house! So, by the time we get there, she is really wound up. She was especially wound up this morning, so much so that she proceeded to pee right as we got in the door. (sigh!) The owner can to get her and get a mop to mop everything up. So he is holding the puppy's leash with one hand and mopping with the other.

Meanwhile, a woman is standing at the front desk. I recognize her because she lives somewhere near my neighborhood and often walks her big black Great Dane by my house. We are talking and then..... to my horror..... the puppy jumps up, while on the leash that the owner is holding and plants the poopy foot right on the back of this woman's sweater!! I see this all happening in slow motion........ Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! And there we were, me with my shame and embarrassment and her with her poopy sweater as she was on her way to work! (Ugh!) So I tried to help her get it out. The day care place had some stuff that got the smell out and most of the stain but I felt so bad..... At least she was a dog owner and could be a little bit more understanding.....

I would have offered to pay for dry cleaning or something but it wasn't really a dry clean type of sweater. I have decided that the next time I see the owner again, I am going to pay for a day of day care for the woman........ That, and that puppy and I are going back to obedience classes starting next week to work on not jumping!



Despite it all, how can you not love such a cute face!!

No comments: