Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I made it back, blog sighting and other stuff...

So to make up for my middle seat on the way to LA, the airplane seat gods made it up to me, by giving me an aisle exit row seat on the way back. It was great!! So much room I didnt even need to consider reclining.

The next day I committed to working the table for my b-school at a recruiting event with the Admissions director. I figured it was a good way to do something positive and remind myself of positive steps in my career. Plus, I could talk to the admissions director about my recent turn of events. I had a lot of fun, talking to bright-eyed women, excited about embarking on the next stage in their career and talking up my school. And the admissions director reminded me that there is an alumni career services guy at our school so I am going to contact him.

Also, this was the site of my first blog recognition. I walked in the space where the event was going on and was greeted by this woman with a cute little 1 1/3 - 2 inch afro. She pointed me towards the area where the school tables were and then said.....

"This might sound strange but you look like someone I saw on a blog recently."

"That could be possible," I said, holding my tongue,

She continued, " I know it sounds weird but I remember something about your friend who just came back from Japan and I remember a picture of you with some bald guy...."

I was a little taken aback! I was getting recognized from my blog! "Was this recently?" I asked.

"Yes"

"That was me," I fessed up.

Turns out, she has been looking around at blogs about natural hair as she contemplates what to do with her own. It was wild!

Another hairstory from this event was a conversation I had with another admissions director from a different business school. We were on a bit of a break and had wandered to the hors d'ouevres table only to find that most of the food had been scarfed up. As I was balancing a plate with some dried out roast beef wrap pinwheels and pouring myself some iced tea, this woman came up to me very enthusiastically and told me how much she loved my hair. I was starting to brace myself for the myriad of questions like I hear from people who aren't familiar with locks, but to my surprise, she was very knowledgeable. It turns out that one of her co-workers in the admissions office has locks and she proceeded to tell me about how when she interviewed her for the position, she told her that she just had to stop and talk to her about how cool her hair was befor they went much further so that they could get it out of the way. She then told me about how her co-worker is always going in and getting new styles and proceeded to describe the latest style. When I told her that I hadn't been to a salon since I started my locks almost 13 years ago, she was floored and then asked me questions about my regimen and if I had ever trimmed them. Who would have thought that there would be all this talk about locks at an MBA recruiting event!?!?

No comments: