Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Don't be shy!

So, when all this stuff was first brewing with my job, I wasn't really talking about it with anyone except close friends. But since it has become official, and the news publicized, I have readily been talking about the layoff when asked. And I have been getting help from the most unlikely sources....

I had mentioned my situation at the place where I take my dog for daycare and the owner asked me to send him my resume. "I am always hearing about things," he said. What the heck!

Also, my aunt called me the other night and said that one person she talked to asked that she send me their contact info and another, who I met before, asked about me when he heard about the news at my company and said that he might be able to find something for me to do at least temporarily at his company if need be....

You never know where help might come from. You just have to leave no stone unturned. You never know where it will lead...

3 comments:

brunsli said...

Wow! 8 new blog posts.

You are probably being more diligent than you're giving ourself credit for, but it sounds like you're looking on all fronts, which is great.

I hope you find one and can manage to take a month or two off before you start.

Anonymous said...

Hi RedDread,

Where my DH works, they just let go two of their graphic artists! {they had been there the longest, and very good too!} He's already been through two lay-offs due to companies going under, and we hope this one doesn't, but it is a "Mom & Pop" type of business.

I hope all goes well with you!

gwashington73 said...

so having been through this twice before, you'd think I'd have a bunch of helpful stuff to offer. But I don't. I can offer this: be patient, don't get discouraged, stick to a routine--even including non-job stuff (it's a great time to catch up on books), don't sell yourself short (other can be more impressed by your accomplishments than you are, so no "I could never get that job" stuff), and remember you never know when or where that next opportunity is going to come, so keep your head up and ears open. Okay, I guess that is a lot. And if all else fails, you can give that multi-lingual singer/musician/ballroom dancer/ motorcycle rider gig a go.