Thursday, October 18, 2007

My run in with the po-po

One little detail I left out from my trip.....


I got pulled over by the po-po! It was actually pretty ridiculous and how the police decide that we needed to be stopped when there were tons of underaged kids walking around with open containers just a couple blocks away is beyond me but.... let me tell you how it all went down.

Some old classmates and I decided that we had to go to this great restaurant in town, that has since been acclaimed by Gourmet magazine as one of the 50 best restaurants in the country. So, after a day of walking around campus and shopping on the main drag, we met up at the restaurant for a great dinner. It was relatively early so we were able to get a table for 6 with no problem. We drank mango/lemongrass and lychee martinis and ate on tea-smoked salmon bento boxes, sweet potato samosas and lamb. Yum!

Then, when it was time for us to leave, I offered to drive everyone to their cars that were a mile or two across campus. So we all piled into my car to head back. Now, my car is roomy but not that roomy for 6 full grown adults and only 2 could sit in the front, so the married couple "sacrificed" and one sat on the others lap.

I was driving carefully, obeying all traffic laws and all of a sudden I saw flashing lights in my rearview mirror so I pulled over. This cop walked up to my window and asked for my license and registration and went back to his car. Now, while he was checking my "record" we noticed that 2 other cars pulled up and that one cop was standing by the back door with his hand on his revolver in the holster. I mean, come on! This is a group of 30-something MBAs who just spent $400 on dinner. What are we going to do???

The cop came back and said that the reason that he had pulled me over is because I had a "gazillion" people (his words, not mine) in the car. I told him that I was just taking them back to their cars at the business school and was becoming keenly aware that I probably had about 7-10 years on this guy. The other cop came over and asked if this was "a bet." What kind of bet would that be??

Anyway, he obviously let me go with a warning and a feeling of contempt at what a waste of tax dollars that was.....


1 comment:

Ms Stella said...

That was funny in an absurd kind of way. It sounds like he thought you were a bunch of kids trying to see how many people you could fit into a car at one time.