Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Brunsli effect

I was reading a post by Cluizel where she was talking about feeling bad for not posting for a few weeks and I could empathize. I have also felt the same way when I didn't post any new blog posts for a while. But why do we feel guilty when living life gets in the way of posting regular updates on our blogs?? Don't we need to live life to be able to have something interesting and meaningful to write about? Who says we need to post something every single day or every few days?

I call this "the Brunsli effect." How do we live up to someone who just recently posted her 1001st post after about 3 years of blogging. That is almost 1 post everyday -- and most of them with pictures! I don't know about you, but a lot of times the pictures are what hold me up on posts. I have one post that I have been planning on writing for the past couple months but it has been held up by the fact that I have yet to get the picture that should accompany it off my phone.

How does she manage to do it? Anyone who has read her blog knows that she is not just sitting around the house. On the contrary, she has been completing a law degree at a top law school, shuttling up and down the California coast for work, and traveling to beautiful and exotic cities around the world. Does the fact that she does not have a TV make that much of a difference?

Seriously though, perhaps the guilty pang comes from a desire not to disappoint our readers. It really is nice to feel that you have an online community and support system to share your life with. And I think that we really should not underestimate the theraputic effect of blogging, modern day journaling. It is always good to get things off your chest and perhaps when we are stressed by life is exactly the time when we should be blogging more, not just to talk about what is stressing us but alternatively to concentrate on something else than the situations that are sapping our positive energy.

Just a thought....... (and while I did poke a little fun, Brunsli, you know I love ya! ;-)

3 comments:

WandaWoman said...

When you put it that way, you're absolutely right, one shouldn't feel guilty about living life. And it does give you something to blog about. Sometimes I feel that I've not checked in to my blog for awhile and the longer I stay away from the blog, the harder it is to sit down. Once I do, it's so freeing.

brunsli said...

Ha ha ha!

I do find blogging very therapeutic!

brunsli said...

Wait, can't you blog and watch TV at the same time? I know whenever someone around me watches TV, I usually get so bored I end up blogging...