Tuesday, March 18, 2008

How do you choose?

Imagine this scenario....

You enter a public restroom and all the stalls are empty....

How do you choose which stall to go to?

I ask because now that I am working at a new job, I get to use the semi-public restroom on my floor. Even though it is public, I know that I like to use the same stall over and over if I can. Call it an attempt to personalize the bathroom experience. So, last week, I was faced with picking which one would be "my stall" and it had me thinking......"how do other people decide which stall to choose in these situations?" "How does the choice criteria change when there is someone else in a stall at the same time you are there?"

In this instance, I was drawn to the middle stall. But if there was someone else in the bathroom I would either 1) still pick the middle stall if they were on the other side (this bathroom has 2 rows of 3 stalls across from each other) or 2) find a way to have at least a 1 stall buffer between me and any other person.

How do you choose? Or am I the only one who thinks about this that much!?!?

7 comments:

WandaWoman said...

Nope, you are not the only one who thinks about these things. After working at one place for so many years, when I did start a new job, I actually thought the same thing. And my idea was that in a bathroom wit 4 stalls in the row, I tend to go for the second or the third one down. I tend to not opt for the first stall b/c it seems it would get too much usage, b/c people don't want to look for a stall and go for the first one and I like the one towards the end of the line. I don't want the very last one, which is usually bigger and reserved for the wheelchair-accessible stall. I usually opt for the stall right next to it.

When there's someone else in the stall I usually prefer, then all rules are off. It just depends for me, on what is available at that time and I just suck it up. But if the wheelchair-accesible is open, I will use it.

Toni Campbell said...

This is not politically correct, but at my job I use the handicapped stall. I am tall and the seat is higher. The other seats make me feel like I am sitting on the ground.

Lakia said...

LOL! I guess I do the same thing. I look for cleanliness, if I find a clean stall, I most likely will continue using it over and over again. We have automatic flushers on my floor, but there is one that I know will flush all the time, so I use that was as my personal stall.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. My office is very small so there are 2 bathrooms with 2 stalls, so my choices are limited. Due to their being so few women in my office, I'm almost always using the restroom alone. One stall's toilet is higher than the other and I hate using that one since I'm so short, I feel like a kid.

esskaym said...

I always use the stall at the very end. Yes, even if it's the disabled one. If the end stalls are taken then the one next to it. I figure most people will stop at the first stall they get to and that the last one is always cleanest. Not sure how true that is but it works for me.

Naturally Sophia said...

LOL! I definitely choose. I look for one with a working purse hook and that is furthest away from the sink/mirrored area. I hate thinking ppl are peaking thru the cracks. I also will walk 2-4 flights of stairs if I need extra privacy or if the noraml stall is dirty. Good Post!

brunsli said...

I'm a big fan of the cushion of air.