Thursday, March 13, 2008

I was the victim of an elevator hair fondling!

So this week has been my first week of work and I am meeting and seeing a bunch of new people, and they are seeing me.....and my hair.

This afternoon when I was leaving for the day, I was waiting for the elevator and the woman I was waiting with told me that she liked my hair and asked how I got it so uniformly wavy. So when I get these types of questions, I always answer them with the assumption that they do basically understand that I have locks, which I know is not a foregone conclusion. I have adopted this strategy partially because recent experience has shown me that not all white people are ignorant about black hair and also in an attempt to keep the conversation short. Sometimes I don't feel like being the approachable impromptu black hair educator for the majority. So, I just told her that I braid it after I wash it and let it dry and then take it out after it dries.

DING! The elevator arrived and I was saved.

But then, I got on the elevator with about 10 people and the woman standing to my right, who was about as tall as my shoulder says "Pretty Hair!" and reaches out and touches it. Now, I am in an crowded elevator so what can I do? But I really wonder.... what is with these people and their impulse control problems!?!? I mean, would you see a woman wearing a dress you like and say "Nice Dress" and then reach out and start touching it? No! Why? Because this is not socially acceptable behavior. Now, I am not sure why people decide to dispense with social norms when they see my hair but it is annoying! I suppose I should be flattered but still.....

1 comment:

Toni Campbell said...

I have left many offended people (strangers & co-workers)in my wake who have dared to reach out and touch my locs! I am normally a nonconfrontational person, but since growing locs I have had to speak up and let people know that it is unacceptable to just grab my (or anyone else's) hair without permission. Recently a white co-worker of mine who has really tight curly hair says the same thing has been happening to her since she was a child. Maybe we should just find people with long, straight hair and pet them!