Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Okay.... I am hooked!!

Wanted to turn you all onto a site that I was recently introduced to by my friend, Q....

I am hooked on www.last.fm!

Basically, it is a cool internet radio and music community site..... but it is more than that! The thing is.... it tracks and learns your musical taste! It allows you to
  • share what you have listened to with others,
  • make recommendations to friends,
  • tag music,
  • mark the songs you love,
  • listen to playlists of songs by artists similar to ones you like,
  • listen to playlists of genres of music that you like
  • listen to your own personal radio station (based on your musical listening taste)
  • listen to other's radio stations

Here is my dashboard:



Very cool! Most functions are available without a subscription but a subscription is only $3/month so that is totally reasonable. And I have to say that it is really refreshing to hear different kinds of music and be exposed to artists you have not heard of before, especially in these days when traditional radio stations play the same 20 songs over and over again. And, while I have always been a lover of hip hop from way back, seems like the genre it is going in the toilet right now.... Also, the site is British so I have heard some new things that I have never heard before, even some Tribe Called Quest songs that must have only been released in Europe.

I will say, be patient about some of the searches, it take a while to learn to get what you want out of them. sometime genre searches work better than artist searches for some things.

The other thing is the online members have an ability to make it better. By tagging tracks, you help further categorize the music so searches are better....

Try it out, peeps!

No comments: