Monday, March 05, 2007

Unfathomable!!

I just met someone who doesn't really like desserts...... So initially you think...... okay, some people don't like asparagus, some don't like mushrooms, some don't like onions, this person doesn't like desserts and I moved on with the conversation..... But my brain just wouldn't let it go, like it didn't really fully compute.... Desserts is a big wide catagory and I really like a lot of things in it! Like chocolate.......cheesecake......ice cream..........cookies........cakes........ And this person says that they like vegetables!

Okay, so now I just think they are from another planet!! Doesn't like desserts, likes vegatables.... Is this phone being tapped!?!?! Should I get away from the windows before I get abducted by aliens?!??Actually, I have been thinking a lot about the importance that food has in my life, especially as I talk to new people.... And this is not just an emotional eating thing.... perhaps it is more an emotional cooking thing.... I like to eat but I also really like to cook, to experiment in the kitchen and to produce something that tastes great and brings people joy. I have a bookcase exclusively for cookbooks that is overflowing and even with that I routinely look for new recipes on the internet.... I hae developed forensic tastebuds, I am always trying to isolate the ingredients in the food I taste. I get inspiration from food I taste, and ingredient I see, magazines I read, a cooking show I watch and decide to cook something new just for the fun of it........I enjoy grocery shopping........ (What!? Okay now I am sure that you really think I am crazy!) I am excited by vacuum sealers, Danish filled pancake pans and hazelnut oil..... (yes, she is a straight loon!!)

I have loved cooking since I was like 10-11, when i discovered that I could cook dinner for my parents as an anniversary gift and get them to pay for the ingredients! ;-) And if I think back on a lot of my favorite places, or places I have visited, a lot of my favorite memories revolve about the good food I have had while I was there (which, as I think about it, is probably a little unusual).... I was so excited yesterday because I was looking through this coffee table/cookbook I had on food from Italy and there was a recipe in it for Fried Zucchini Flowers, which was one of my favorite things from Florence, Italy when I visited there after high school.....

And I could never be a professional bodybuilder because by nature, to succeed, you need to redefine food as simply fuel and I enjoy food and the variety of tastes too much. I have a friend who competes in amateur body building competitions and when she is preparing for a competition all she eats is plain grilled checken breast and dry salad....... I would be bald if I had to survive on that!!!


I love the variety and diversity of food...... Okay now, what was I talking about.... Oh yeah, well.....more dessert for me!!! :-)

1 comment:

brunsli said...

That dessert-less person is not to be trusted.