Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The "plug-in drug"

So a recent post from Brunsli about how she doesn't own a TV has gotten me thinking about my TV habits.....

I am one person with 4 TVs in the house! This sounds a little excessive, I admit, but in my defense i still have and use the first TV I ever bought myself in 1994 or 95.... And then I bought another one in, maybe.... 200o or so. I will say that TV purchases definitely picked up when I got my house (seems like a lot of purchases pick up when you do that!) and I added 2 new ones in the past 6 months. In defense, one is for the guest room, so I have never really watched that one at all.... But the other.....well!..... It is a work of art! Guys come over and drool about watching the Superbowl on it!!

Perhaps, I am overstating this slightly. But that empty wall in my den just tapped into the inner technology lover in me...... So when the inner budget shopper in me found a great deal on a 58" rear-projection DLP HD TV (that's right, I said 58") I just had to buy it!


So, honestly, I primarily watch this TV, understandably...... And my DVR allows me to not act like a TV-obsessed freak! In fact the season pass feature allows me to catch stuff that I probably would have missed otherwise.... But the cool thing is, I can watch the shows whenever I want or feel like it, as long as I dont run out of space.... For example, I am about 5 shows behind on Lost and that is okay...... I will catch up when I get in the mood. (I just have to avoid any clues in the commercials!)

So, I think that I have this "TV thing" because I didn't have a TV in my room when I was a kid and we didn't have cable (I had to go to friend's houses for that). In fact, I saw my first music video on MTV at my friend Kathy Belcher's house in first grade.... All of these things were probably good. TV never took over my life and I was always busy with activities growing up. But TV still had a certain importance in my life because, oddly, it made me feel closer to my dad. He and I "bonded" over TV. We had similar taste in TV shows when I was growing up and I remember fondly watching "Miami Vice" with him every Friday night for years....... Also, I have found that in my travels to other countries (especially the extended trips), as enjoyable as they may be, they can stressful. In those cases, it is a luxury to decompress by watch good ol' familiar American TV! There is just nothing like it....

So maybe, to me, sometimes TV means comfort.... For the reasons mentioned above....

1 comment:

muslimahlocs said...

are you serious? one, two, three, four televisions. we do not own a tv and cannot even imagine having one in our home. my HMC (high maintenance child) knows a lot of words but tv is not one of them. now that i am thinking about it, i do not believe that HMC has ever watched tv and we hope that HMC never does. it can be very addictive.