Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bureaucracy - Your Tax Dollars At Work

Today, I did one thing that I have been dreading. No one really wants to go try to get something done at a place where you know you are going to get the run around. But that is what you have to expect when you deal with a government agency. Today, I went to try to dispute the property taxes charged on some properties I purchased last year. I noticed that the amounts are severely out of wack for the value of the properties and their location within the city. I expected that this wouldn't be a simple thing to fix, especially since the county has already gotten their money but I decided today was the day to start trying to unravel the process. After all, it means money back for me which, especially at this time, is sorely needed.

So first, I went to one office that could only help with with disputes for taxes for the current year. The woman was very helpful and told me that I needed to get copies of the deeds for the properties in the courthouse next door and then come back and go to the office next door to hers to speak to the assessor in charge of the area where the property is. Getting the deeds was a relatively simple and quick process. The woman at the records office was very helpful. And then I came back to talk to the assessor. My assessor was actually in court that day so another guy filled in for him. He and I spent 2 hours trying to sort through everything. The end result was that I was told that there were not individual parcel numbers for each property, they were still in larger lots and that the assessments for the properties were not up to date -- last done in February and did not reflect completed construction. So the plan I left with was to do or make sure everything got done to get individual parcel numbers for each property (that included surveys etc.) and also schedule a time for the assessor to come back out and re-assess the property. This would require him having access to the inside of the buildings which are all already occupied -- not very convenient. All this has to be done before I can even talk to the people who set and collect the taxes about getting money back!

After this, I decided, I might as well make a day of it and go to the unemployment office and file for unemployment. It couldn't be worse, right? After all, people file for unemployment every day..... The process was rather streamlined, simple, and non-particularly time consuming. I was out in about an hour and 20 minutes. I was glad to get that off my list.

However, it seems that there will be many more days at the tax assessors office ahead for me. The builder claims that they have already gotten parcel numbers for the individual properties and that they were issued by the City, although the COunty has no record of them. So, I am going to try to go back with the builder to the assessors office for another saga of "Bureaucracy - Your Tax Dollars At Work." Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Naturally Sophia said...

Oh wow! That seems like some crazy Atlanta kinda bureaucracy at work. At least you got something accomplished though...