Thursday, January 31, 2008

What I have learned from daytime TV....

I seem to not have the patience to watch soap operas anymore. I basically don't watch anything between 12-3 because there are not any other choices besides soap operas (and maybe judge shows) and I really could be doing something more productive with my time. But I have learned a few things from the shows that come on during the other hours of the day.

  1. From Montel Williams - Coconut water is really good for you. In fact, it is a great natural energy drink. It s excellent for replacing lost electrolytes from exercise and illness. It actually has 15 times the amount of potassium as most sports and energy drinks which helps regulate blood pressure and heart function. It also regulates the functioning of the intestine which can help to promote digestive health and can can help promote smoother, more hydrated skin. Another odd and interesting fact: The electrolyte profile of the coconut water is similar to human plasma. In World War II and the Vietnam War coconut water saved many soldiers lives. Doctors used coconut water as an intravenous solution to prolong life on the battlefield when IV solutions were in short supply. Coconut water was also injected directly into the blood stream to prevent dehydration. Coconut water can be found at health food stores and stores like Whole Foods.
  2. From Rachel Ray - Black Vinegar has a hearty taste like balsamic vinegar and is great in salad dressings. It is also good for reducing high blood pressure and drinking a dose of vinegar each day became a popular health trend in Asia, so much so that vinegar bars started to become all the rage in Tokyo. In fact, drinking 15 milliliters of vinegar each day has been shown to lower high blood pressure. The compound also suppresses the buildup of lactic acid, which helps people to recover from fatigue; promotes secretion of saliva, which aids digestion; and contains antifungal agents. Black vinegar can be found at Asian markets.
  3. From Suze Orman on Oprah - A messy house is an indicator that there is disorder and something unsettled in your life that needs attention. She was actually helping a family stop bailing out a sister/daughter who was using them as her own emergency fund and an excuse to not exercise her own fiscal responsibility. But I find that I do this when I am troubled, overwhelmed, or stressed by something in my life. I lose the energy to clean up and put away things. But it is important for me to take that time because it is an indicator about how I feel about myself.
So I guess daytime television is not all bad!

1 comment:

Ms Stella said...

This was interesting. I'm not working now and I've been watching some daytime tv myself.