Saturday, January 26, 2008

Waging war!

So for a little while now, I had been hearing little noises in my ceiling downstairs at night. It took me a while to suspect that it was living things. And I wasn't sure that it was mice because I hadn't seen any evidence. Then, one Friday night, I had fallen asleep downstairs and I heard a bunch of them screeching through a vent! And finally. about 2 weeks ago, I saw some droppings (yick) in the closet where I keep the dog food and I realized that 3 entire boxes of dog treats had been devoured, through little holes gnawed in the corners of the boxes. Ah ha! Confirmation at last!

So, I went out and got these humane, nice sanitary round plastic traps. You put the bait inside and then the mouse goes in, the door closes and, voila, the mouse if caught! Nothing to see or touch. Well, they didn't work at all! And it started to sound like there was a party going on under my sink at night. I also went out and bought the ultrasonic things that you plug into an outlet and it is supposed to keep the mice out. But, apparently, the sound doesn't travel so well through walls and stuff.

So today, I just had it! I went out and, as much as I didn't want to, I got the old-school mousetraps. Except, the old school traps don't require bait anymore. They have this yellow plastic piece that looks sort of like swiss cheese. I don't know if it smells like cheese to mice too but it didnt smell like anything to me.


Anyway, when I went to set the traps under the sink, I discovered the following.....

They had chewed through the bottom of 3 2 liter bottles of soda and 1 64 oz bottle of cranberry juice, drank all the juice and soda (don't ask me how they acheived this) and shredded all the labels, They had also gone in the back of the drawers and eaten more dog treats and chewed on a rawhide bone. It was totally disgusting! They are such dirty nasty creatures! Everything was dirty. At least they left the cans of soda alone. I guess mice can't chew through metal.

So I set the traps about 2 hours ago and within 15 minutes I heard the first "snap!" And two more since then. Followed by scratching and stuff. I am totally disgusted! I think it will take a day before I can summon up the courage to look under there! I tell ya, sometimes owning a house is nasty business! Yick!!!

2 comments:

Naturally Sophia said...

awwh! Owning a house is so challenging especially when it's just you. I am doing so much just to get my house ready for rent.

Did you think about trying the "no view" mouse traps. I hear they work great. This brand is particularly good. My parents use it d-Con. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/d-CON-No-View-Touch-Mouse/dp/B000P9GNF2

RedDredPrincess said...

Yeah, those were the ones I used first that the mice basically just ignored.... I wish those would have worked!!