Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year traditions

So, for some reason, maybe in an attempt at comfort, I decided on a whim to make black eyed peas this year. This is funny because 1) I have never made them before and 2) I never really liked them when I was a kid and I don't think that I have ever had them since then. Also, I decided to buy 2 1 lb bags of beans. Maybe subconsciously I figured, the more good luck the better! So now, having convinced myself that I could make them taste good, I have a 9 qt stockpot full of peas and you know... they really taste good! I think the difference is that I cooked them in chicken stock instead of just water.

So the New Years tradition with black eyed peas is that you are supposed to eat them on New Years Day for good luck but I was talking to a friend of mine and she mentioned something her mother told her about not washing clothes or dishes on New Years Day because that would be bad luck --- something about washing away good fortune or something like that. Have you heard of this tradition? What other New Years traditions do you know about?

4 comments:

brunsli said...

Italians eat lentils (similar), and wear red underwear.

In Mexico, people throw water out the windows (so they won't cry in the upcoming year) and walk out the front door with suitcases (to ensure travel).

In my family, we make sure to have a coin in our pockets to have money for the upcoming year. I forgot, but hopefully the red undies will make up for it.

Anonymous said...

Black Eyed Peas & Collard Greens (I use all types of greens though) for prosperity and wealth.

Good job on cooking those black eyed peas to your liking. Any type of stock adds so much flavor.

Naturally Sophia said...

My mom has a whole slew of superstitions. The ones that pertain to New Year involve not washing clothes or dishes on New Years Day. I asked her why and she said that it washes someone in your family out of your life.

Black eyed peas and collard greens for the dollars and cents.

Lastly and most important, the first person to visit you in the New Year should be a man. She said that it's important and that it is to not be overlooked but couldn't explain the superstition's origin or any negative implications.

CheLouissaint said...

It's funny that you mentioned not washing clothes on New Years day. My family is Haitian and every year we eat squash soup, it has different types of veggies, meat, pasta and dumplings, it taste wonderful and it's tied to our independance from the french. We eat that as a family and then we visit our elders so that they bless us for the new year. This year I had to go to work but my sister decided she wanted to get her laundry out of the way my mother made a big deal about her not washing her clothes so my sister waited until midnight, good to know my mother isn't the only superstitous one.