Friday, July 20, 2007

Go see "Talk to Me!"


I urge you all to go out THIS WEEKEND and see the movie "Talk to Me" starring Don Cheadle, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Taraji P. Henson, Cedric the Entertainer, Mike Epps, Vondi Curtis-Hall & Martin Sheen. The movie, currently in limited release with the promise of wider release with enough interest from the public, is directed by Kasi Lemmons of Eve's Bayou fame anf fellow sister in lockdom (See her below on the cover of the famous book, "Dreads" by Francesco Mastalia, Alfonse Pagano, & Alice Walker.)

The movie is about Petey Green, a controversial talk radio personality, in Washington, DC in the 60's and 70's. Petey, called the forefather of talk radio as we know it today, was the imperfect voice of a frustrated black community in turbulent and confusing racial times. He was a public figure who was not scared to say what need to be said in the most direct and irreverant way possible. But he was able to mobilize a community in a time when they felt they had no voice.

Check out trailers and more general information here.

If it is showing in your city, go see this movie and let the movie studios know that this is the type of film you want to see more of! And, give the folks in smaller markets the chance to see it themselves.

Addendum: I went to go see this movie myself last night and it is really a great movie! We all laughed out loud so hard at certain scenes (in fact the woman next to me laughed so hard she hit me a couple times --- and then apologized.) I don't remember laughing that hard at a movie in a long time! And there were really touching scenes as well that made me cry.... This is really just a great movie! My hats off to Don Cheadle, Chiwetel Ejifor and Taraji P. Henson for some really multifaceted performances. I didn't really realize that Ejifor's character was Dewey Hughes, the ex-husband of Kathy Hughes and co-owner of the radio station that would be the foundation of the black owned Radio One media empire. There is actually only one reference to Kathy Hughes in the whole movie, even though the end covers the time when she and Dewey were married, which makes me believe that the movie did not have her full support, but it was really interesting to learn about a portion of our more recent black history that I had no idea about, even though I lived in the DC area for 10 years. Also, read this story about how the movie got made, despite the odds.

1 comment:

AfroSaxon said...

YESSSSSSS!!!

I love me some Don Cheadle. He is such an excellent, yet underrated, actor.