Sunday, July 15, 2007

New babies!

So as most of you know, I have been growing my locks for over 12 years. And, through the process, I have discovered that some parts of my hair was much straighter than I every knew, namely the hair around my hairline on both sides of my head, behind my ears, and at the back of my neck.


Interestingly, I am happy to report that this hair has finally started locking! So I have about 10 new babies!

Don't ask me why the hair started deciding to behave but it is like a little rennaisance for me. :-) Complete with all the challenges with keeping them from sticking out in funny ways....


I will admit that for some of the straighter hair in the back, I have commandered/borrowed/interpreted some sisterlock techniques to get the locks to stay. I have also discovered a product that I actually like and think is making a difference. I have actually simplified my regimen over the years and don't put anything in my hair to help with keeping my locks together. I used to use a beeswax/sheabutter/orange oil mix but stopped using it about 8 years ago because it didn't seem to make an appreciable difference.


But Brunsli gave me a bottle of Jane Carter's natural Hold Locking spray and I have to say, I really like it. I have used it on the new babies and even started using it on my entire head after I wash my hair (along with my Bumble and Bumble Tonic spray and Jojoba oil for my scalp.) I like it because it seems to provide some additional hold to keep the newly retwisted new growth neat without any build up.



So, I am making a rare product endorsement. Give it a try for yourself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new babies! ... I've had the same problem over the last few years with hair in the same areas that you mentioned being 'too straight' and a challenge to get to lock. Like yours, they are locking now and I'm having to resort to all kinds of creative lines of thought to keep them from sticking up and out in rebellion.

Hmmm ... interesting product rec. I'm no longer by any means a product junkie, but this one sounds worthy of a try.

brunsli said...

Lucky you! I am such a product junkie -- I had to buy that stuff, just because it was for locks, when I didn't need it! It's great that it found a good home.

Brenda said...

Good tip. My daughter has several new babies that tend to stick up like devil horns in the weirdest places. Plus, her hair tends to be fuzzier than mine even though I latch her new growth. I may give this a try. Thanks!