Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harnessing a bad habit... a little experiment...

So, I have decided to embark on a little experiment inspired by two things -- a recent deep dive into my monthly budget and the fact that my freezer is overflowing. I am trying to go a month without making anymore major grocery store purchases. I am only allowing myself to buy, if needed, more fruit and vegetables and perishable drinks, like juice and milk.

I have a bad habit of going to the grocery store more regularly than I need to and then putting stuff in the freezer and never cooking it. So, I want to stop the cycle. It is also a waste of money. So, the buck stops here! I am also going to try to limite to amount of times I buy lunch out during the week to 1 as well as the number of times I eat dinner out.

Now, this doesnt mean that I will be stuck eating ground beef and chicken breast for a month. As I mentioned before, I am adept at grocery shopping and I love food so I will be fine. I just need to force myself to cook it and plan ahead a little. Let me give you just a little snapshot of the contents of my freezer (actually, it is more like freezers, since I inherited a spare refrigerator when I bought this house. That freezer is almost full too, although some of it is bags of ice.)

  • Chicken Breast
  • Catfish filets
  • Pork Tenderloin
  • Buffalo Burger
  • Filet Mignon
  • Duck
  • Green Beans
  • Stir fry vegetables
  • Edamame
  • Lean Cuisine meals
  • Homemade Turkey Stock
  • Fruit prepackaged for smoothies

So, honestly, I think I will be okay. But it will be a good exercise for me. The way I buy groceries you would think that I am buying for a family of three or something. Maybe this is a hold over from growing up, or I am just practicing for the future. But I really need to right-size for the present! Wish me luck!

(P.S. This post was penned while sitting on my screened porch after a nice refreshing humidity-breaking morning rain. Ahhhh!)

2 comments:

Quietspirit said...

Buying for 3 is not necessarily a bad thing. It's the freezing that makes the difference. Try freezing portions for one. You could also cook for two or three and have leftovers to take for lunch. I've been living as one for a while now and that's what I try to do when I freeze things.

Naturally Sophia said...

I have been living alone for a few years now; and I still can't get this right. I also can't cook one meal for one person. I have been trying to shop weekly and share the remainder with friends and co-workers.